Before proceeding to the tutorial, you should know how the data driven pages work and how to activate it? If you are newbie to it, please read my tutorial on Data Driven Pages Locator Map.
1. For this tutorial I am using world map with cities. City is the data driving layer. It will show how both the data frame zoom in with different scales. Map1 is the main dataframe and Map2 is the reference dataframe.
2. Go to the Data driven pages toolbar and enable it. Again use Map1 data frame for driving the page.
3. Now go to the Map2 dataframe and click the options.
4. Go to the Dataframe Tab. From Extent select Other Data Frame. Select Map1 under Derive extent from another data frame’s extent. Under Margin assign 12000% (this will assign zoom level on map 2). Other leave as default. Then Press Ok.
5. Now if you press the Next page, both the map1 and map2 will be panning.